Thursday, August 29, 2013
Look Through Each Other's Eyes....At Least For An Instant
The message in this video is so compelling. I have watched it numerous times this week. You never know what people are going through...what struggles they are enduring, what burdens they are carrying, what flaws they have, what mistakes they have made, what sins they are still making. As the video says,
"If you could stand in someone else's shoes,
hear what they hear,
see what they see,
feel what they feel,
would you treat them differently?"
I think we all would.
But in a fast-paced world that is always on the go, we tend to sometimes just treat people as objects, as a means to an end, and never take the time to look past the "I'm fine" and look through their eyes to what really lies beyond it deep inside. When was the last time you took the time to really look through someone's eyes, even for just an instant, to see what is really going on in their heart, mind, and soul? It's easy to just go through your day focused on what you have to get done and what you have to do. We are naturally selfish people and tend to focus on ourselves. But if you really knew what that person was struggling with, maybe you would stop and take an extra 5 minutes to have a conversation with them and ask them how they are really doing. Maybe you would show them a little more grace and forgiveness for not being perfect and having an off day instead of chewing them out or gossiping about them. We could all spare to show people so much more grace. Why? The Lord really has been laying this on my heart over the last year or two. I have been struggling with a situation for over four years now, and it has opened my eyes in some pretty significant ways. First, it has humbled me to accept that God loves me unconditionally even as this flawed, sinful human being who continues to fall short of the mark. Receiving God's mercy and grace despite everything that I am and everything that I have done is really enough to knock the wind out of you and make you have to catch your breath. I mean, really? God loves us so much that he sacrificed his son on the cross for our sins and offered us undeserving grace! My situation has truly helped me see myself in a new light. Secondly though, it has allowed me to see people in a new light as well. It has broken my heart and made me so much more sensitive to other people and their flaws and struggles. None of us are perfect. I know I am far from it. But God still offered me undeserving grace. So I should offer others that same grace. You really never know what might be going on behind the scenes in their life - they may desperately be needing someone to just look through their eyes, see the need, and be given a little extra grace, or a little extra love.
Labels:
burdens,
depth,
flaws,
forgiveness,
grace,
people,
relationships,
sins,
struggles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment