Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pondering...

I have so much on my mind this week that I can't seem to put any of it on paper or into words. Some of my thoughts have led to questions...

1) Life is love and love is life. Right? Well, at least for me it is. My life is centered around my love for God and my love for people. No matter who I come in contact with, I ask myself how I can show them love. Some make it quite hard to love them...others, I just can't stop loving them. Where's the balance? Why is it that some people in my life make me pray and focus deep down in my soul just to find an ounce of love for them while others seem to possess more of my love than I have for myself. Is there a limit to love? That's a tough one to answer. God's love, agape, definitely has no limit. He and His love are unconditional, eternal, and long-lasting. How about love between people? Between myself and my parents, friends, co-workers...? Where does compromise and sacrifice come into play? I have come to learn that most all relationships require both of those elements. Who gives up what? Is there a point where you have given up too much?

2) Second question I have been thinking of is...who do I want to be defined as? A close friend of mine recently said to me..."you are changing, you are a completely different Lauren". That made me think. If I'm changing, do I want to be known as the person I was before or the person I am changing into? What character do I wish to have? What principles and beliefs do I wish to base my life philosophy on? What legacy do I wish to leave behind? Who do I want to be and become? Who does God want me to become?

2 comments:

  1. Hey L--

    I definately identify with thought #2. Changes can be frightening, especially if you're unsure if you like the person you're changing into. My thought is that you have no choice BUT to change. Being static is not an option. So if that's true, considering the questions you raised (about character, values, and god's will for you) is the most important step. If you have those questions in mind-- your life will be built around what is most important.
    Miss you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren, was just reading this and wanted to steer you towards something I've been reading through recently. 1 John is a fantastic book, asserting both our identity and purpose in Christ. Chapter 3, verses 1-3 though specifically speak to those questions in my heart. Who we are? "See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are! For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him." Who we are becoming? "Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is." So what do we do in the mean time? "And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." Surrender everything daily to look more like Christ in this world and so fulfill our purpose of glorifying Him in all we are (Isaiah 43:7)... Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete