Life is a series of changes, transitions, decisions, actions, behaviors, and more. It's a journey. Do you embrace the journey or do you fight it every step of the way?
I use to hate change with a passion. I resisted it with every ounce of my being! Why? I'm not too sure. Perhaps because I was so Type A in my personality that I wanted to plan my entire life out from beginning to end. I wanted to have thorough plans from day to day and even in to the long-term future. I like to be prepared, I like to know what's coming. Change catches me off guard, things fall through the cracks, or life starts going in a direction that I don't like. I remember the first huge change in my life where I fought kicking and screaming was when I graduated from high school and was leaving my hometown to go to Charlottesville to attend UVA. I was born and raised in Newport News. I had never moved and I had spent 18 years of my life investing in the people there and planting my roots as deep as they can go. My church, my youth group, my mentors, my family, and my hometown - I didn't want to leave any of it behind. I remember being curled up in a ball in the corner of my church's youth group room crying to God saying "Why do I have to go? I have everything I need right here." But little did I know, God had a much better plan for me. I went to UVA, spread my wings, and received 4 years of some of the best collegiate education in the country, was a part of a fantastic Christian fellowship and church, and met some of the best people ever who will be lifelong friends. He turned the change into good, and he provided for me everything I needed. God had a bigger and better plan for me, and it involved accepting and embracing the change.
I could go on and on with specific accounts of when change has happened in my life and I resisted it. I kicked and screamed and asked God "why?" After the change occurred, I saw God work through it all and pull the good out of it. He knows what He is doing. He has the master plan. This life is not mine, it is His. So why do I keep resisting the change instead of embracing it? For most people, it's just human instinct to do so. When the Lord brings change into my life, I immediately freak out because it means I am out of control. But I greatly desire to have the Lord reign over my life, and not me. It is not my life to control. Over the years, as my faith has started to mature, I have been able to acknowledge these things about me and my life. I choose to place my faith and trust in God. I strive every single day to let God lead and for me to follow.
Change is going to happen whether you want it to or not. It's up to you how you will react to it. Are you going to hide in a corner and kick and scream in resistance? Or are you going to trust the Lord with your life, embrace the change, and let Him do what is best for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment