Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I WANT A PEPSI

I REACHED MY GOAL! Today marks 1 month that I have gone without pepsi! Actually, not just pepsi, but ALL SODA! All I have had to drink in the last four weeks is pure water...nothing else. I had a number of health reasons why I wanted to cut soda's caffeine out of my life cold turkey, but it was also just for the challenge. Can I actually take something that I absolutely love and am addicted to and just cut it out of my life? I went from drinking 4-5 sodas a day to NOTHING for a month! I thought I was crazy for even coming up with the idea, but I know I needed to do it and I wanted to. I wanted to test my self-discipline as well. Could I actually last? Could I really say no in the face of temptation?

Seriously, temptation pops up EVERYWHERE when you are trying to live your life right. I would literally see signs for soda everywhere, be driving next to huge pepsi trucks all the time on the highway, be at my friends' houses where all they had to drink was soda, etc. When you try to cut something out of your life, it's almost like Satan goes into full force to make sure that temptation is ever so accessible and in your face. I know giving up soda is not that huge of a deal and may seem really small of a feat. But sometimes you have to start small before working your way to bigger, more serious areas of your life. You gotta start somewhere, right? This past week, I read in one of my devotionals the following Bible verse:

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

How sweet is that? The Word says that God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. So, no matter what comes our way and pops up in our face, it's nothing we can't handle with God. God will always provide a way to deal with it if we rely on Him. That is such a sweet, sweet promise to hold onto. The principles and self-discipline I used to keep myself committed to my non-soda goal for the past month can also be expanded and applied to other areas of my life. I can apply it to my finances, to my food diet, to healthy boundaries in relationships, to exercise, to anything really.  No matter what I put my mind to, I have to keep God in the equation. He is faithful and will always pull me through on the other side. He will be there with me as I face all the temptation. I have to stand strong and say no. Don't get me wrong, the desire and craving to have a pepsi everyday really didn't go away. It was there every single day. But, I did start to notice my body craving more and more water because it recognized how good it was for me. Sometimes getting something unhealthy out of your life will allow for new healthy cravings and opportunities to pour into your life.

What is it in your life you need to be more self-disciplined about?

No comments:

Post a Comment