When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:13-16
Jesus asked one of his closest friends and followers, "Who do you say I am?" Peter told Jesus all the different identities and names that others around town had called him. Some of his answers were John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, a prophet. But the Lord didn't care what others called him at that point. He turned to Peter and asked him what HE called him. Peter declared Jesus was the "Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Who do you say I am?
I have been thinking a lot about my identity. What makes me who I am? Where does my identity come from? Who do others say I am? Isn't it funny how we get so wrapped up in what others think of us and who they say we are. For Jesus, it was different. He was testing the faith of one of his disciples and followers, the one who would one day start the church. "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." (Matthew 16:18) He had very good reason to question Peter. But for us, why are we always questioning those around us and caring what others say about us. Is our identity really rooted in the praises or curses by our friends or family? Is our identity found in how many people like our Facebook statuses, or how many people comment on our Facebook pictures, or how many people retweet us. I mean, really. Where does your identity reside?
I had a really good friend two nights ago tell me I was wonderful. She kept repeating it over and over again because she could see it in my eyes that I didn't believe it. Yes, it's nice to get compliments from friends, but that compliment simply hit a hard wall, and didn't penetrate into my heart or mind a single bit. Why? Because I didn't believe it. My self-esteem and self-worth have been so low over the last few years because sin, guilt, shame, and unforgiveness have rotten away at my inner being. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of my foundation and my identity. My identity is not in the accolades from a friend or evaluation from a boss, my identity is in Christ. Who does HE say that I am? That is what truly matters.
I am a child of God and I belong to Him. (John 1:12)
I am loved by God and nothing can separate me from His love. (Romans 8:35-39)
I am chosen by God and blameless in His sight. (Ephesians 1:4)
I am forgiven and my sin is paid for on the cross. (Colossians 2:13-14)
Every single day is a challenge to try and see myself as God sees me. Oftentimes, my own voice, the voice of others, or even the voice of Satan scream louder than God's voice. Most days, I feel worthless, I feel like a screw-up, I feel like I'm shameful for God to look upon. But the million dollar question is not, Who do I say that I am? or Who do they say that I am? It's really...Who does God say that I am? If I embrace that scripture as Truth, God says that I am His beloved child, dearly loved, forgiven in His sight, and made for great things. My faith is a journey, one that Jesus is willing to walk side by side with me. I may not be able to fully declare these truths over my life right at this very moment, but I believe in the validity of the Word and I believe who God says He is. Therefore, I must believe the things He says in the Bible about me, even if it contradicts every thought I have of myself inside my head.
No comments:
Post a Comment