Friday, November 16, 2012

Every Season

Right now, we are right in the middle of fall. Leaves are changing colors, and some have begun to fall to the ground. Soon, the trees will be bare, and temperatures will start to drop, and we may even see ice and snow. Winter will arrive soon. I love living in a Mid-Atlantic state where we get to experience all four seasons to their full capacity. With each season comes a new scenery and a new sense of beauty. But we can only experience each new season by going through a phase of change.

Change can be scary. I have feared and resisted change most of my life. I get so rooted in places, patterns, schedules, and most of all, people. I invest time, energy, feelings into all of those things, so when it's time for them to change or they are lost or removed from your life, it feels like a huge loss like something is missing. Every place we live, person we meet, activity we do, relationship we have...they all are significant pieces to our lives. They help to form us.

I have been thinking a lot about change recently. I have been job searching for about 8 months now, and with every job I apply to, I think about all the change that will occur if I get the job. Most of the jobs will require relocation, finally moving out of my parent's house and living on my own. With relocation comes even more changes...possibly finding a new church, new friends, new social activities, new everything. It's kinda scary to think about at first. But then when I think about the change that must occur in order for us to experience the beauty in each new season, it reminds me that there can and will be beauty in each new phase of my life. Moving on from things in your last phase of life does not mean they are forgotten or didn't serve their purpose. Oftentimes, those things helped prepare you to become who you are so you could be ready to step into your next phase of life and new stage of beauty. I am starting to not resist change so much. Change might be exactly what I need at this point in my life...

Here is one of my all-time favorite songs by Nichole Nordeman that fits perfectly with the theme of this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment