Saturday, January 24, 2015

Arm Yourself...The Battle is On

Lies can be powerful.

They can destroy your sense of self. They can manipulate your perspective on life or a situation. They can alter your behavior, take over your mind, and ultimately change who you are.

I've struggled with believing lies for most of my life. Not only about who I am, but also about what I've done. I carry my past with me, it changes how I live my life for today, and places immense amount of fears and doubts about my future. Here are just some of the lies...

  • I don't have the emotional strength to keep fighting through my depression.
  • I am alone.
  • My sin and brokenness are too deep and serious to ever come back from and find wholeness again.
  • God is disappointed and ashamed of me.
  • I must be ALL things for ALL people.
  • I must be perfect. Perfectionism is key for God and others to love me.
  • The hurt and pain will never go away.
I could go on and on. Believing these things in my heart and mind have been crippling and have kept me from truly living out a life of victory and joy through Jesus Christ.

Until last fall, I'm not sure where I came up with this idea, if someone told me about it or if I read about it somewhere. I started a Lie/Truth Journal. I thought...What's the #1 thing that can fight the lies in our head? TRUTH! And where is the #1 place where I can find infallible truth? GOD'S WORD...THE BIBLE! So I started this journal. Each day, I write down one lie that I believe about myself or my life. Then, I write down one truth or promise of God that I find in scripture that counters and tears down that specific lie. I can't tell you how much victory I have found in this! Yes, some days, I have the same lie that comes to mind, but what's great is I can look back through my journal and reread those truths. One day at a time, I am taking a lie and shoving it back in Satan's face saying "Not today, Satan!"

Lies can be powerful. But God's Word is the most powerful weapon we have.

Stand up. Arm yourself. The battle is on. Victory has already been won. Claim it.

No comments:

Post a Comment