Friday, September 25, 2009

Christ in the Workplace

I was speaking with one of my co-workers today about how religion varies in different countries. In some places, one's religion is their way of life. In America, our secular culture has made religion be this secondary element to one's life, just something we do on Sundays and the holidays. But really, that's not how it should be, or at least, that's not how I see it. I believe that my religion, or in other words, my faith, is my way of life. I want people to be able to look at me at any point in time and in any context and be able to tell that I am a person of faith and a Christ-follower.

Recently, I have been thinking about my impact as a Christian in the workplace. I have been at my new job for only two months now and already I have come face to face with decisions where I can choose to fade in with the rest of society or stand up for what I know to be right and true. Sometimes I can think and pray over an issue so many times and still find myself stuck in a cloud of confusion. However, after speaking with one of my most respected mentors* last night, he was able to bring clarity to the subject while also challenging and calling me to rise above the norm.

I know my workplace conflicts are not uncommon. Perhaps you too have a co-worker that you don't get along with, or you don't agree with how your supervisor or boss runs things. Or perhaps you see actions and behaviors going on that you feel convicted are wrong because of your faith and beliefs. I was struggling with the balance of having to respect my earthly authorities and their orders while also standing up for my faith and what I know to be right. Where is the line? My mentor looked me in the eyes last night and said boldly, "This is not ok," and I believe him. I know I have to make some changes. Instead of just trying to lead by example with my actions, I also need to learn when and where to speak up and lead by words. I think it will be difficult to choose the right thing to say at the right time when I am treading with my job on the line. But, I have to take that chance and stand up for what I believe. I know that the Holy Spirit will give me the words when I need them.

I am excited to know that I can be used by the Lord at my workplace. I pray that I can be a humble follower that can be used by God in whatever environment He needs me and to whomever needs to see the gospel lived out. It's time to stop being just a passive follower and to start taking action. My goal is to live my life out of Truth and Love, but currently my focus is to figure out how to transfer that philosophy into my workplace fully. I'll keep you updated.



*A HUGE thanks to my mentor...you know who you are. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment