"I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy"
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy"
What kind of legacy do I want to leave on this earth after I'm gone? When people say my name, what do I want to be remembered for? First and foremost, I want to be known as someone who loves and lives for Jesus. There was a point in college where I was stressing about what my calling in life was and what type of job I was going to end up in after I graduated. I came to the realization that I already have the most important calling on my life - and that is to love God and love people. I strive to make that my goal each and everyday. The second thing I want to be known for is a good friend. Ever since I can remember, I have taken my friendships really seriously. Commitment, loyalty, love, accountability, selflessness....all of these and more are elements that keep a strong friendship together. I strongly believe it's the little things in addition to the big things that count in these relationships. That extra text or email just to tell them you are thinking of them or praying for them. Remembering the small details of their life so that you can ask them about it next time you see them. Making a home-made card just to tell them how much you care for them. These are just some of the things that I do in order to show my friends I love and care for them. The thing about taking friendships so seriously though, is that sometimes you aren't met halfway by the other friend in care or effort. I have learned through many specific friendships all the way back to middle school, that it's really about giving and not expecting them to always return the favor. My commitment to certain friendships has left me in hurt many times. I ask..."Why don't they ever call me?" or "Why did they just stand me up to hang out with their boyfriend?" or "Would they have ever done that for me?" Well, the truth of the matter is, sometimes the answers are not so pleasant. I was talking with one of my best friends recently about love languages and how different people show they love you in different ways. Some use words of affirmation, some quality time....others receiving gifts, acts of service, or physical touch. In the same way, I believe friends use different languages to show they care. Perhaps the small details are my way of trying to be a good friend. For those friends who I once thought didn't care as much, I've realized that they are just speaking a different language. It's all about identifying the language, accepting it, and acknowledging it. But then there are just some friends, that you never learn their language and it seems like there will always be an unbalanced relationship. The Lord taught me to give and love, even when no love is returned or even if one is met with rejection or hatred. This is where I charge myself to stand out above the rest - and I challenge you to do the same. Reach out to those on the sidelines. Tell that friend you love them. Send a card to that long-distance friend. Give without expecting a return. Love in spite of hatred and adversity. I want to be known as a good friend and this is what I try to do everyday so that becomes my legacy.
What legacy do you want to leave behind?
No comments:
Post a Comment