Well, I guess that blog title could sound pretty gross if you think about bodily functions. But hey, it's a part of life! I'm just getting real. Whatever you eat and put into your body, must come out. Anyways, you get the point, I don't think I need to go into more details with that. But, with that same thought process, you can draw an analogy into your spiritual life. What you put into your heart and mind, is what will come out of your heart and mind. What you pour into your life, is what will pour out of your life. Get it?
If you spend your free time watching trashy movies, listening to music filled with curse words, surrounding yourself with people of bad influence and judgment, you might just start acting like the actors in those movies, speaking foul language out of your mouth, and becoming a person of bad influence yourself. I mean, think about it...what do you really spend your free time on? What are you putting into your life?
When I think about some of my free time, I find some days where I am watching endless hours of Netflix, playing Angry Birds and Words with Friends on my Droid, and spending way too much time on Facebook. I mean, really?! Oftentimes you can tell where your priorities are by where you spend your time, and also your money. If I just took one of those hours doing one of those miscellaneous things and chose to spend it reading the Bible and having some quiet time with the Lord, how would my day change? How would my life change? It would change radically! Why? Because God is all about life transformation and radical love. He greatly desires to spend time with us and to love on us and to know our hearts. So, why do we fill all our time and days with frivolous things that will add nothing of substance to our lives? I'm not saying Netflix, Angry Birds, Words with Friends, Facebook, and all that is innately wrong. But when certain things take precedence over your relationship with God, then something is off-balance. When you start to fill yourself with more of God, the out-pouring of your life is blessings, peace, and joy.
One example from my life recently where I saw this come true was with the music I listen to in my car when I'm driving. I have always listened to K-LOVE Christian radio station because I love Contemporary Christian Music and all kinds of worship and praise music. But about 6 months ago, I intentionally started listening to K-LOVE as my #1 station in my car. Though I would love to listen to some of my favorite artists like Adele, Missy Higgins, and Sara Bareilles, I found that listening to those female artists singing about love and relationships triggered my depression and thoughts about my ex. So, instead of putting into my mind songs about heartbreak and lost love, I would listen to songs about Christ's love, hope, and joy! It's not a catch all and I don't do this every second of everyday, but I have seen how it has helped me stay more focused on the Lord and His blessings throughout the day instead of my sorrow and loneliness. Life transformation is what Christ is all about.
So what are you pouring into your life? What goes in....must come out!
No comments:
Post a Comment