Sunday, August 2, 2009

Break Free

I am SO excited about my new church, Water's Edge! I love the worship, the messages, the people...and this is only after being there for three weeks. The new sermon series that the pastor is on right now is called "Break Free." I love how God sends you messages exactly when you need them and you feel like you are the only person in the audience that the pastor is speaking to. I felt like that this morning again. The sermon was on breaking free from the submission to worry. We all worry. Well, I will speak for myself. I know I worry about anything and everything. Recently, I have just been worrying and fearing about the future of certain relationships in my life. I have old friends coming back into my life, new friends coming into my life, and many of my best friends going off and getting married! So I often spend a lot of my time thinking about how those relationships are going to change in the future. Am I going to see my newly married friends at all? Am I going to be able to balance all of my current friendships even though many of them are becoming long distance? Always so many questions running through my mind. There are so many occasions where I ask God for the answers and he just whispers back to me, "Be calm my child, I have all the answers, you only need to trust me." Man, if it was only that easy. haha. Well, the three steps that the pastor gave to breaking free from worry are this:

(1) I will think like God says to think

- don't ask "what if?" but replace that thought with "I can do all things through Christ"
- 2 Cor. 10:5 "...we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"
- Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
(2) I will do what God says to do
- freedom is always connected to obedience
(3) I will trust God with everything else
- worry is the antithesis to trust and faith
- worry diminishes the power and greatness of God

So that's another goal I am going to focus on now and in the future. Worry less, trust more!

Song that goes great with the sermon theme..."Break Free" by Hillsong United.

No comments:

Post a Comment