Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Thirst for you, Lord

I read this passage in The Secret of Christian Living last night and it really challenged me to try and live my life this way.

"We must know why God puts us in the world today. May I speak frankly of hunger and thirst after righteousness in sinners and saints. As we go out to serve we must be able to create in men a thirsty heart. In us there should be such an intangible refreshing power and supply that people who meet us cannot help but seek after God. When people are in touch with us, a kind of thirst after God should be produced in them by us. If, though, they see and communicate with us often and yet we fail to create in them a longing for God, this will be our failure. Or if we pray, read the Bible, serve, and preach the gospel and yet we are unable to make people thirsty after God, this too must be considered to be our failure."

I don't think the responsibility lies wholly on us to "convert" someone. I mean, truly, conversion and salvation are completely between God and that individual. The most we can do is live our lives in a way that points them in the right direction and creates that sense of thirstiness of curiousity in them. We must plant the seed, and the Lord will do the rest. This passage just really challenged me to reflect on my life to see if I am living in a way that causes other people to seek after God. I long to live my life like that, so that is a challenge I take upon myself for the future, and I challenge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment