Friday, May 27, 2011
The Hunger Games
Well, when I was in college, all I read for 4 years were religious studies textbooks and endless articles for class. I never had any time for recreational reading. Reading is definitely not my favorite passtime. I enjoy watching a movie far more than reading a book. But, since I graduated college in May 2009, I have tried reading recreationally. By recreationally, I don't mean fiction or drama or romance novels. Basically all I read are Christian books that have some type of topic that will add to my spiritual life or encourage me spiritually or help me deal with a struggle in my faith walk. There is nothing wrong with books of all those other genres. I just know that I read very little, and when I do read, I want it to add something to my life. Currently I am reading One in a Million by Priscilla Shirer. Two in two million people made it from Egypt through the Exodus to the Promised Land. That means it boils down to one in a million made it through the wilderness. The book basically takes you on a journey with the Israelites through their wilderness and how they fought to make it (or didn't make it) to the Promised Land. It discusses obstacles you will face and how you can overcome them. After I finish reading this, I'm not sure what is next on my list to read. I usually read purely off of recommendations from friends. I have heard a LOT about The Hunger Games recently. It's a trilogy about (or so wiki tells me) sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. It sounds interesting and has gotten great reviews, but it definitely doesn't fall into my genre of books I normally read. Perhaps I will try something new and be pleased with the return. Any other suggestions of books I should read?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment