Thursday, June 2, 2011

Death

Depressing blog topic, eh? Well, going to 2 funerals within 1 week has got me thinking about death a lot, so what can I say? These last two people who have died have both been great people. People who were known for their kindness and love and compassion. Does that make it any better on their loved ones to let go? Not always. Or is it their faith in God that makes it easy to let go? That definitely helps, but it's still a painful process to imagine life without them in it. If the person was saved and believed in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then its comforting to know they will spend eternity with their Heavenly Father. But what do you say to the loved ones of the person who died if they were not a believer and never knew Christ? That must be a hard situation to handle. This whole week of funerals has made me think of Gwen Hansen, probably the closest person I have lost to death in my entire life. She was another kind, sweet lady that was known for her love, family, hospitality, teaching capability, musical talent, and faith in God over all. I know where she is now - in Heaven now looking down on all of her family members watching out for them, and probably playing every musical instrument she can find in Heaven, directing a band of angels. But, I still find it hurts to think about how she's gone. I spent many days in the hospital with her family as she dealt with her sepsis infection, and then after her heart attack waiting, praying, and hoping she would come back to us. When she never returned, it definitely left this void in my heart and the hearts of many. I mean, what truly gives someone closure after a loved one's death? Is it the reassurance that they are no longer in pain or suffering? Or the fact that you will see them again one day if you were both believers? Personally, death has never been something I fear. Though I don't know the specifics of what Heaven will be like, I know it will be far better than this place we call Earth, and it will be with no pain and suffering and no tears. To me, a place with no tears is a place I can't even imagine, but I believe it exists. I actually look forward to the day that I can be standing in the presence of the Lord worshiping Him face to face with the angels all around. Death to me isn't scary. But that also doesn't mean it comes without sorrow and grieving when a loved one leaves this earth. I guess there are still many unknown details about death, but I feel like it's better to leave those unknowns in the hands of the One who made me and controls the timing of death.

RIP Gwen Hansen 10-30-2010
RIP Rose Johnson 5-25-2011
RIP George Mingee 5-30-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment