Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Being a Leader

I never thought I would be a good leader. I have been asked many times over the last 6 years of my life to be a small group leader at my church or in the Christian fellowship at my old college, but I always said no. Why? Because I didn't think I was good enough to be. Don't leaders have to be perfect emotionally and spiritually? If so, that isn't me, so of course I thought the right answer was NO. I was always going through too much stuff emotionally to even be stable enough to lead others. However, after a while, that just became the excuse. I feared failure and I feared failing others. But do leaders have to be perfect in all areas of their life to lead? The correct answer to that is NO.

Leadership is about setting a good example for others and guiding them in the right path. In a small group for a Christian campus ministry or at a church, that means guiding them and encouraging them in their faith walks with the Lord. Does it mean you have to be flawless and sinless? Well, absolutely not. Why? Because only Jesus is truly sinless. I have found one quality that makes a good leader is being able to admit when you are wrong or when you have made a mistake. Not only that, a good leader apologizes for his/her mistake and does everything in their power to make right. A leader does not live a life of sin and does nothing to change it. A leader is transparent with their life's trials and sets an example for others by showing them how to turn to the Lord when the going gets rough and life seems impossible.

I was always scared to become a small group leader. I feared the scrutiny and judgement others may have on my life if I was put in a position of attention. I feared I wouldn't be good enough, stable enough emotionally, or strong enough spiritually to lead. However, in the beginning of November 2011, I became a small group leader for the very first time and it has been nothing but a pure blessing. I have always had a great desire to pour into people's lives with the love of Christ and the care of a great friend. Guess what?! A small group leader does exactly that! I have accepted that I don't have to be perfect to lead. As the staff at my church once told me, you just really have to love God, love people, and love the church. I absolutely LOVE GOD, LOVE PEOPLE, and LOVE MY CHURCH!

I am totally stoked to be a Community Group leader for young adults at my church. It has challenged my faith in many ways. It has made me a better discussion leader, it has kept me accountable and constantly in the Word, and has even improved my prayer life as I lead my group in prayer weekly. I can't believe I let fear get in the way of becoming a leader for the last 6 years, when I should have just trusted God and let Him do the work in me that needed to be done. Even when my human capabilities fail me as a leader, God steps in and gives me the words to say and does more than I could ever imagine. Thank you to all my amazing CG members - I love you all. And thank you Lord for being ever so patient with me as I learn life lessons and strive to follow you each and every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment