I would like to offer a new perspective to all of this. The book is called Lady in WAITING. I just put the word WAITING in all caps because I want to emphasize that word. The book title is talking about waiting for "Mr. Right," but at the very end of the book it makes a fantastic point, we don't have to WAIT. People often seek a human relationship in a boyfriend or husband to complete them or make them whole. Although God grants us human relationships and friendships to bless us and bring joy to our lives, they are not meant to complete us. Our identity is not to be found in any human relationship, but in Christ alone. Everything that our hearts desire in a human relationship has already been fulfilled through Christ. The book ends with a fantastic Bible Study developed by Beverly Brandon that points out how the Lord fulfills all our deepest desires for relationship. I will list them below and I hope you will be encouraged by them and reassured of the Truth that God alone can meet your every need. I will first list the desire or want that you have in getting married or getting into a human relationship, then I will follow-up with the Truth as to how God can fill that need for you.
- I want to be loved. ~ "...I have loved you with an everlasting love..." (Jeremiah 31:3)
- I want someone to adore me. ~ The King has brought me into his chambers to adore me. My lover is outstanding among 10,000 (Song 1:4, 5:10)
- I want someone to hold my hand. ~ "...I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10)
- I want to be accepted and valued. ~ I am accepted in the Beloved. (Ephesians 1:6 KJV)
- I want a place, a nesting place that is my own to create and use. ~ We can rest in the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalm 91:1)
- I want help in my days of trouble. ~ "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I shall rescue you..." (Psalm 50:15)
- I want to share my life-the joys and the struggles-with one person (intimacy). ~ God will share with me the treasures of darkness and hidden riches. (Isaiah 45:3)
- I want a champion of my causes - one who is willing to fight for me. ~ "The Lord will fight for you..." (Exodus 14:14)
- I want someone to meet my needs. ~ God is meeting all my needs. (Philippians 4:19)
- I want intimacy. ~ The Lord is intimate with the upright. (Psalm 140:13)
- I want someone to help me in my life. ~ There is no one like God who rides the heavens to help you. (Deuteronomy 33:26)
- I want to walk through life sustained and carried. I don't want the whole load of life. ~ Even to my old age, God will sustain me, carry me, and rescue me. (Isaiah 46:4)
- I want a companion for this life. ~ God invites us to humbly walk with Him. (Micah 6:8)
- I desire children. ~ God gives us spiritual children like the numberless grains of sand if we invest in lives. (Isaiah 48:19)
Not too shabby there Ms. Cory :-)
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I read "Lady in Waiting" while I was single and loved it. Very encouraging and helps change your mindset - you start looking at what you should be working on yourself (and your relationship with God) rather than focusing on another person to come along and sweep you off your feet.
ReplyDelete